Sunday, May 20, 2007

9:15 am Fox Squirrels are Bigger

Quite cool this morning. Mark and Channing stayed last night. Spoke to Channing last night. Botany is his thing, especially mushrooms. Speaking to them this morning, I realize that I'd better study my trees harder. This morning I got to see a pair of Fox squirrels and a Gray squirrel at the same time out the kitchen window! Perfect way to make the comparison! Obvious yellow (almost to orange) on the undersides of the Fox. White undersides and many gray hairs above for the Gray. I could clearly see that the Fox was much bigger. According to Barbour, the pair of Foxes may be mating again any time now. I'm guessing that the meadow below makes this good habitat for the Fox squirrel, while the Gray has all the forest here that he needs.

Gray squirrel - Sciurus carolinensis
Fox squirrel - Sciurus niger

No comments: